What are hydrocolloid dressings and why do we use them?
Since effective wound healing is a very detailed and difficult process, it helps to know a little about the various dressing materials. This impacts the comfort and well-being of the patients as well as healing efficiency and avoiding infections. Here’s what you should know about hydrocolloid dressings for wound care.
What are Hydrocolloid Dressings?
Hydrocolloid dressings have a unique design that makes them especially beneficial for wound healing thanks to the use of special gel substances for absorbing wound exudate. They assist the body’s enzymes in keeping the wound site cleaner by forming a waterproof seal. The dressing material, composed of hydrocolloid gel and breathable wafer-like material, is a terrific option for patients suffering from bedsores, minor burns, acne, and even skin grafts.
What Are Their Advantages & Disadvantages?
What are the strengths and weaknesses of using hydrocolloid dressings?
- They don’t stick to the wound directly. Instead, you apply them to the surrounding healthy skin, which is much safer and more comfortable for the patient.
- Bacteria and other infectious microorganisms cannot penetrate the material as easily.
- They’re a great way to keep the wound site moist, giving the body’s enzymes the opportunity to heal it faster.
- You don’t have to change these dressings as often.
- There is plenty of size/shape variety. So, you can tailor the dressing to fit specific patient needs.
- You have to keep an eye on them to make sure they don’t curl around the edges.
- They may not work as effectively if the wound site has a very heavy exudate.
- It’s possible to have too much moisture in certain circumstances involving hyper-granulation.
Hydrocolloid Dressings from Sarasota Medical Products
Sarasota Medical Products has developed hydrocolloid dressings in nine different shapes and sizes (including custom shapes) for medical clients. Our products offer lots of versatility whether you need to treat burn wounds on toes or fingers, or to address scars and other deformities.
We design hydrocolloid products that allow the most patient comfort possible. The polyurethane film creates an almost frictionless outer layer, which makes application and removal easier than ever.
If you’d like to learn more about hydrocolloid dressings and other aspects of wound care, then please continue to follow Sarasota Medical Products. We produce outstanding products for both clinical and patient usage. You’re welcome to contact us anytime with questions or comments by calling 941-377-1451.